Friday, September 9, 2011

" Help, I just got mugged by a whale! "

















To sail out to such an open sea, where the skies seem to touch the water, and the clouds felt like a hand's reach away.


Whale-watching in Gold Coast truly proved to be one of the best decisions in my life! Though I had seen a whale before during another whale-watching tour in Perth, the whale was so far away its just seemed like a lump of coal bobbing on the sea surface. And that encounter only lasted 36 seconds.
I honestly didn't believe it when the tour guaranteed 'see a whale or your money back', but the whales in Gold Coast proved us wrong! Not only were we lucky enough to have 5 dolphins (they were so quick so I couldn't get any good shots of them, sorry :/) frolick around the boat teasingly without any caution, but we had a one-in-a-hundred close-up meeting with this humongous humpback whale! It literally just swam up to the boat and peered at us curiously. Even the guides were saying how rare it is for a whale to surface so close to the boat without any fear.

And the whale? Such a cute thing it was, showing off by performing underwater flips, and poking its head out of the water to nod at us. (You would think Seaworld actually released a trained humpback whale into the wild to entertain us, heh) I always thought that the rainbow that appears when water shoots out from a blowhole in cartoons were fake, until I saw it in real life for myself. THERE REALLY IS A RAINBOW. CARTOONS ARE REAL! (okay maybe not that part). The whale stayed with us for a total of 45 minutes, and I swear, it was always swimming to the side with the most cameras. ◕ ‿‿ ◕

Ah, and the guide told us that the way in which the whale was behaving was called 'mugging'. So yep, for once in my life I finally got mugged by a whale. What a whale.

No comments: